Paleo and CBD: Should You Do It?
Paleo and CBD are two hot wellness trends right now.
Let’s start by talking about paleo.
New diets seem to pop up almost every week. Some of these diets stay and others go. One diet that continues to generate buzz is the paleo diet. This diet has stood the test of time for many reasons. Many people find it easy to stick to the paleo diet. Further, they experience fantastic benefits in both weight loss and energy boost while on the paleo diet.
So where does CBD come in?
As more people give the paleo diet a try, they’re beginning to wonder which health supplements work well with the paleo diet. CBD is one supplement that gained significant popularity over the past few years. Many people that began the paleo diet began to take CBD to see if it would increase the benefits they were experiencing.
In this article, we will examine what the paleo diet is, some of its benefits, and why paleo and CBD work great together.
The Paleo Diet
The paleo diet is based on the idea that humans should be eating as they did during the Paleolithic era. This era began 2.5 million years ago and stretched to 10,000 years ago. During this time, humans were hunter-gatherers and ate many foods that are available today. However, some of the foods popular today were not available to hunter gatherers.
- The paleo diet eliminates dairy products, legumes, grains, sugar, and processed foods. Our ancestors did not eat this type of food. They do not fit into the paleo mold.
- People following the paleo diet eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, lean meats, fish, and certain oils. The diet of those living during the paleo era consisted of these primary foods.
The argument behind the paleo diet is that humans evolved to eat certain foods and are not equipped to handle many modern foods like grains and sugar that became popular as a result of agriculture.
As the paleo diet has risen in popularity, there have been many studies examining the potential health benefits of the diet. One study examined the ability of the paleo diet to reduce the risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. The study found that after consuming a paleo diet for 3 months, subjects showed reductions in the risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease.1
Why CBD Works Well With The Paleo Diet
CBD can help you regardless of whether you’re just getting started with the paleo diet or whether you’ve been on it for years. There’s a few reasons people on the paleo and CBD are a good combo.
Promotes Weight Loss
One of the main reasons people start on the paleo diet is because of the significant weight loss benefits it offers. One study published in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry found that CBD stimulated the proteins and genes that encourage fat breakdown. The study also found that CBD could encourage activity and energy use within cellular mitochondria.
When mitochondria are active, they encourage the burning of calories. Researchers in the study mentioned above also noted that CBD had the potential to change “white fat” into “brown fat.” White fat is commonly believed to increase the risk of type 2 diabetes and disease, whereas brown fat can promote weight loss because it is burned for energy.
Balances Your Appetite
Along with promoting weight loss, CBD shows promise in helping to promote a balanced appetite. Have you ever had a day where you felt like you could eat everything in your pantry? Or a day where you just didn’t feel like eating at all? Chances are if you’ve experienced either of those you may have had an endocannabinoid system that was out of balance. CBD works within the endocannabinoid system supporting balance and proper functionality.
Here’s what you need to know about the endocannabinoid system and appetite:
- The endocannabinoid system is one of the most important parts of your body for building and maintaining optimal health. It is responsible for balancing out all of the 11 physiological systems of the body and many other biological processes.
- Researchers know that the endocannabinoid system plays a major role in regulating hunger.
- When the receptors within the endocannabinoid system get overstimulated, you’re more likely to develop metabolic syndrome. This condition is associated with increased blood sugar, higher blood pressure, eating more, and increases in body fat.2
- In a study where all endocannabinoid receptors were blocked, appetite totally disappeared.3
- This indicates that when the endocannabinoid system reaches a state of imbalance, you will be either extremely hungry or not hungry at all.
- CBD works to balance out the receptors within the endocannabinoid system. By balancing out this system of receptors, it may be possible to find a sweet spot for appetite where you eat neither too much nor too little.
With a balanced appetite, you’ll be less likely to overeat or get cravings for foods that aren’t paleo friendly. When you’re first starting your diet and giving up favorites like sugar and processed foods, it may be tough to fight the urges. CBD may be the perfect supplement to help you tough it out in the beginning of your paleo adventure and ensure you don’t stray from the general guidelines. Paleo and CBD is a total win!
CBD Is Great Before and After A Workout
A lot of paleo dieters incorporate exercise into their overall wellness routine. The verdict is in, and exercise is without question one of the best ways to improve your health.
Many people report feeling a general feeling of calm and wellness after taking CBD. This can be great if you typically don’t feel like working out. CBD can have a major impact on your mood. By improving your mood, you may feel more motivated and excited to work out.
CBD balm is wonderful if you have general soreness after a tough workout. You can apply it wherever you feel sore and start to feel better.
Final Thoughts on CBD and The Paleo Diet
If you’re thinking about starting the paleo diet, CBD may be the perfect supplement to accompany you on your journey to better health. Because of the way it impacts weight loss and hunger and the general benefits it gives you for working out, CBD is the perfect companion to the paleo diet. Both paleo and CBD will continue to be a strong pairing in the world of health and wellness.
- ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19604407 ).
- ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21484568 ).
- ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19443932 ).